Due to ongoing concerns about the pandemic, the Pennsylvania Council of Trout Unlimited elected to conduct its 2021 Annual Meeting via Zoom teleconference on Saturday, Sept. 18. Capping off the meeting was the virtual presentation of the 2021 Annual Awards to the following deserving chapters and individuals.
• Edward Urbas Award for Best PA Chapter – Donegal Chapter
This award is given to the chapter that best exemplifies the work of TU, including involvement in conservation efforts, community activities, outreach, youth activities, etc.
• Best Small Chapter Award – Fort Bedford Chapter
The same criteria as used in the Edward Urbas Award, but it is limited to chapters with 150 or fewer members.
• Best Chapter Project – Muddy Creek Chapter
This award recognizes an exceptional initiative, project, or effort on the part of a TU chapter which demonstrates efficient use of resources and which utilizes effective partnerships with other organizations such as government agencies, other non-profits, schools, etc., and which had a notable impact on the community and/or environment.
• Doc Fritchey Award for Outstanding Coldwater Conservationist, TU Member – Russ Collins
This award recognizes a TU member with a history of exemplifying PATU’s core values and mission- conserving, protecting, and restoring PA’s coldwater fisheries and watersheds – and who demonstrates a commitment to volunteerism.
• Outstanding Coldwater Conservationist, Professional – Kathleen Lavelle
This award recognizes an individual, either from a governmental agency, private enterprise, or non-profit organization, who has made an exceptional effort to help fulfill the TU mission of conserving, protecting, restoring, and sustaining PA’s coldwater fisheries and watersheds.
• Outstanding Volunteer – Fred Wilt
This award recognizes a person who, while not necessarily a member of TU or a conservationist professional, was particularly helpful and who contributed time and effort to supporting a TU chapter or project.
• Best Chapter Website – Doc Fritchey Chapter
Chapter’s website particularly attractive, clear, up-to-date and easy to navigate.
• Samuel Slaymaker Award for Best Chapter Newsletter – Muddy Creek Chapter
Chapter’s newsletter includes information about the chapter’s activities that is current, well-presented and clear, and is visually attractive.
• Dr. Jack Beck Award for Outstanding Youth Outreach – No nominations submitted
This award recognizes an individual who has shown exceptional leadership and commitment to youth outreach, programs, and activities.
• Ken Sink Award for Outstanding Service to PATU – Mike Romanowski (posthumous)
This award is given to a person who contributes to PATU’s mission in a notable way. It is intended to recognize a person who has been involved for a significant period of time and who has demonstrated steadfast dedication to coldwater conservation, protection, restoration, as well as volunteerism and leadership. It is not necessarily presented every year.
• Inky Moore Award for Outstanding Service to State Council – Rachel Kester
This award recognizes a person who through his or her recent efforts shows promise as a future leader of the organization.
• Diversity Award – No nominations submitted
This award recognizes a chapter that demonstrates diversity among the members in the chapter.